Ashmolean Museum Oxford
by The Bill Skinner Studio
Alfred Jewel Cufflinks designed exclusively for the Ashmolean by The Bill Skinner Studio. A great gift for dads, grooms or anyone who loves to wear a good suit, these attractive gold cufflinks are designed and made by the Bill Skinner Studio as a perfect replica of the beloved Alfred Jewel, arguably the most famous exhibit on display in Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum.
Dating back to the 9th century AD, the stunning Alfred Jewel is thought to have been commissioned by none other than King Alfred the Great (r. 871 – 899), as evidenced by the inscription found around the jewel itself; AELFRED MEC HEHT GEWYRCAN, translated from the Anglo Saxon to ‘Alfred ordered me to be made’.
Each aspect of the original historic artefact has been painstakingly recreated in these precious designer cufflinks, from the filigreed inscription to the hand enamelled central image, thought by experts to represent the sense of sight, and the finishing dragon’s head which, in the case of the original Alfred Jewel, is widely held to have been an aestel, or pointer and therefore likely held a thin ivory stick. This pointer was used to help early Medieval scholars as they carefully followed dense religious texts. These cufflinks follow in the footsteps of the original, combining the useful with the beautiful for a gift that will be treasured for years to come.
Crafted in brass plated with 14K gold, these delicate enamel decorated cufflinks for men or women are a real special occasion piece ideal as wedding day cufflinks or as a day to day addition for those who will appreciate the opportunity to carry a little slice of history with them wherever they go. Ideal as groom cufflinks, a best man gift, for a special party or event, or simply to finish off a smart work suit, the Bill Skinner Studio Alfred Jewel cufflinks with their intriguing back story will be a real talking point for the wearer to show off.
Unearthed by accident during the ploughing of a field, the Alfred Jewel was discovered in North Petherton, Somerset in 1693. Its famed inscription alongside its location close to the Athelney Abbey from where King Alfred launched his attack against the Great Army of the Vikings, has led historians to believe that this perfectly preserved relic has strong links to the only English king to have been bestowed with the title ‘The Great’. Known to have been a learned man who ordered numerous religious texts to be translated from Latin to Anglo Saxon English, it is thought that King Alfred distributed aestels of this sort throughout his kingdom alongside translated manuscripts.
Exclusive to the Ashmolean Museum.
Materials: 14k gold plated brass and enamel detailing
Dimensions: 2.2 x 1cm each
The profit from your purchases helps fund the running, collection and care of the Ashmolean Museum, which is free to enter and offers more than 1000 tours, workshops and lectures each year. By shopping with us today, you are helping support everything that we do.